Alcohol Authorization | Controller's Office

Alcohol Authorization

Alcohol Authorization

Completed forms should be submitted via email to



Frequently Asked Questions

What are the steps for approval of alcohol use for an event?
Where can I find the Alcohol Authorization form?
What is the UCCS policy for use of alcohol?
What premises are licensed for service of alcohol at UCCS?
How do I know whether an event requires an Alcohol Authorization form?
Who can serve alcohol?
What is TIPS?
What are acceptable forms of ID?
What is a Special Event Permit (SEP)?
What funding sources can be used?


Alcohol:  Any Alcoholic beverage, including, but not limited to, beer, wine, liquor, and hard cider.

Bartender: Individual dedicated to the distribution of the alcoholic beverages.  The bartender may have no other assigned duties for the event.  Depending on the number of participants, more than one bartender may be required.  TIPS or equivalent training is required.

Event: Means a conference, fundraising event, meal,  meeting or any other gathering (formal or informal) on property owned or operated by UCCS or where UCCS funds are used to procure food, beverages, alcoholic beverages, and/or services, regardless of whether or not the space is licensed or not for alcoholic beverage sales.

Event Coordinator: The authorized UCCS employee who schedules the event and ensures compliance with all campus policies regarding alcohol and the State liquor code, applicable municipal code, and University policies for Private Events in public facilities where alcohol is present.

Fundraising: The act or activity of soliciting and collecting gift revenue benefiting the University. Examples of fundraising activities include the collection of gifts or money through: contributions or donations, sale or auction of merchandise or services, collection of registration or sponsorship fees, imposition of admission charges or registration fees, and/or membership fees.

License Holder: Responsible party who applies for and is granted a license or permit to sell alcoholic beverages.  The UCCS food service provider is UCCS Dining & Food Services for specific space detailed in Licensed Premise definition, or an individual department applying for and granted a special permit license (see definition below).

Licensed Premise: A specific location where the sale and service of alcohol for consumption on the location has been authorized under Colorado law.   

Private Event: An Event where Alcohol is served that is not open to the general public. In order to be a Private Event, the Event must satisfy all of the following:

  1. It must be by invitation only. Invitations to the Event must have been sent to specific individuals. This does not include an Event where attendees register in response to an announcement of the Event. 
  2. A previously printed list of invited guests must be used to identify attendees at the entrance to assure that only invited participants enter.
  3. The Event cannot have been advertised as being open to the public.
  4. The Alcohol is free or the Event is a University sponsored Event and the admission charge or other charge for participation is the same regardless of whether the person attending consumes Alcohol or not.

University Sponsored Event:  Alcohol is not sold nor is there an admission charge to enter the event.  The event may or may not be invitation only.  Alcohol is free but is served by an individual with TIPS or equivalent training (i.e. annual holiday party).

Additional Resources